May 27, 2016
Vermont Department of Labor
Contact: Commissioner Annie Noonan
Unemployment Insurance Checks Issued Yesterday with Errors
UI Claimants asked to Follow Instructions to Ensure Payment
Unemployment Insurance checks were issued by the Vermont Department of Labor yesterday that did not include bank routing numbers. This error affected approximately 1,000 checks dated May 25, 2016.
UI Claimants are asked to follow these instructions to ensure payment:
- The UI checks WILL be honored, as issued, by all branches of the People’s United Bank at one of their locations.
- If you have not yet cashed your check, present it for payment at a People’s United Bank.
- If you have already attempted to cash the check at another bank (i.e. other than People’s United) — even if it was accepted — be advised that it will NOT clear the federal clearinghouse. The Vermont Department of Labor is asking other banking/financial institutions to waive any ‘bounced check’ fees that might result from this situation.
- If you have not yet cashed your check, and cannot get to a People’s United Bank, return the check to the Department of Labor at P.O. Box 488, Montpelier, VT 05601, or at one of the VDOL offices, and a replacement check will be issued within 48 hours.
- If you are a business that has cashed one of these checks for a UI claimant, contact the Vermont Department of Labor at 802-828-4333.
- If you have questions, please call the Vermont Department of Labor at 802-828-4333 or 802-828-4301 or 802-828-4300.