The State of Vermont offices, including all Vermont Department of Labor offices, will be closed on Monday, July 4, 2016 for the July 4th holiday. We will reopen on Tuesday, July 5th.
For those needing to file a new or to reopen an Unemployment claim, please call 877-214-3330, Tuesday July 5th through Friday July 8th.
To make an inquiry about your existing Unemployment claim, please call 877-214-3332 Tuesday, July 5th through Friday July 8th.
During this holiday week, our UI Call Center hours will be Tuesday (July 5) through Thursday (July 7), 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, and Friday (July 8) from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. There will be no call center staff available on Monday, July 4th.
You may reopen an existing claim on VDOL’s website at www.labor.vermont.gov and click on the upper tabs “Job Seekers and Workers” and then click “File an Unemployment Claim”, or use the link: https://uipublic01.labor.vermont.gov/Claimantportal/portal/login.aspx
If you already have an established claim, filing your Weekly UI Claim will be unchanged due to the holiday closure. Proceed as you normally do each week when you file your claim.
May 27, 2016
Vermont Department of Labor
Contact: Commissioner Annie Noonan
Unemployment Insurance Checks Issued Yesterday with Errors
UI Claimants asked to Follow Instructions to Ensure Payment
Unemployment Insurance checks were issued by the Vermont Department of Labor yesterday that did not include bank routing numbers. This error affected approximately 1,000 checks dated May 25, 2016.
UI Claimants are asked to follow these instructions to ensure payment:
- The UI checks WILL be honored, as issued, by all branches of the People’s United Bank at one of their locations.
- If you have not yet cashed your check, present it for payment at a People’s United Bank.
- If you have already attempted to cash the check at another bank (i.e. other than People’s United) — even if it was accepted — be advised that it will NOT clear the federal clearinghouse. The Vermont Department of Labor is asking other banking/financial institutions to waive any ‘bounced check’ fees that might result from this situation.
- If you have not yet cashed your check, and cannot get to a People’s United Bank, return the check to the Department of Labor at P.O. Box 488, Montpelier, VT 05601, or at one of the VDOL offices, and a replacement check will be issued within 48 hours.
- If you are a business that has cashed one of these checks for a UI claimant, contact the Vermont Department of Labor at 802-828-4333.
- If you have questions, please call the Vermont Department of Labor at 802-828-4333 or 802-828-4301 or 802-828-4300.
Attention Vermont Employers
ALL employers are required to file their quarterly Unemployment Insurance Wage and Contribution Reports electronically.
Employers reporting 0 to 250 employees:
- The electronic Vermont Internet Tax and Wage System (VITWS) can be accessed by selecting “Employer Online Services” on the home page, then selecting “File Your Quarterly Reports & Taxable Wage Base Information”.
- New employers will be mailed a temporary password. When the temporary password is received, log onto the Vermont Internet Tax and Wage System (VITWS) to create your own custom password for quarterly filing. Please retain your newly established password for safe keeping, as this will be your permanent password for all future filings.
- If you need to reset your password, please call the Employer Service Unit at 802-828-4344.
Employers reporting more than 250 employees:
A penalty assessment of $100.00 will be charged to employers who fail to file electronically.