(802) 828-4000 Contact Us | Sitemap

Establishing an Unemployment Claim


Establishing a New Claim

If you become unemployed and have worked in Vermont anytime in the past 18 months, you may be eligible to receive unemployment insurance.

Once you become totally or partially unemployed, the time to establish a new claim is during the first week you work less than 35 hours.

An unemployment compensation claim becomes effective when filed, so if you choose to wait to file your claim, then you may not go back to the date you first became unemployed.

A Customer Service Representative is available to assist you with this process. A list of required information needed when you call is provided for your convenience.

Currently the Claims Center hours are:

Monday through Thursday 8:30am – 4:00pm

Friday 9:00am – 4:00pm

Call Toll-Free: 1-877-214-3330

Persons with hearing impairment or TTY users may file their claim by calling the department directly. To reach a TTY Customer Service Representative, call: 1-800-650-4152

After you have established your unemployment claim, you will be required to certify that you have read and understand your Responsibilities and Rights in the Claimant Handbook [PDF]

To receive an unemployment check, it will be necessary for you to file weekly claims. Your Responsibilities and Rights, other important information and regulations is available in our Claimant Handbook [PDF], which will be mailed to you after establishing your unemployment claim.

Required Information

The following information will be required when you establish your unemployment claim for the first time. Having this information readily available when you call will help speed up the claims filing process.

  • Social Security Number
  • Mailing and Home Addresses
  • Telephone Number (including area code)
  • Alien Registration Number (if not a U.S. citizen)
  • Amount and duration of any separation pay you may receive (vacation pay, severance pay, etc.)
  • Return to work date (if you expect to be recalled to your job)
  • Valid Driver’s License Number (or state issued ID Number, if applicable)
  • Banking information for Direct Deposit of your unemployment check [PDF]
  • Military Form DD-214, Member 4 Copy (if you were in the military in the past 18 months)
  • Form SF-8 (if you worked for the Federal Government during the past 18 months and received one)

For each employer that you worked for in the past 18 months, have the following information available when you call:

  • Complete name and address of each employer (including zip code) you worked for
  • Payroll address (if different from employer address)
  • Employer telephone number (including area code)
  • Beginning and ending dates of employment
  • Reason for separation
Translate »