(802) 828-4000 Contact Us | Sitemap

Report Misclassification or Fraud


The Vermont Department of Labor diligently strives to ensure that employers, workers, and others involved in the programs we administer follow the laws, rules and required procedures.

But we need your help.

If you know a business is intentionally misclassifying its employees, or individuals who are drawing from the Unemployment Trust Fund or Workers’ Compensation erroneously, please contact us immediately.

Your identity will be kept confidential.

To assist us with maintaining integrity in the Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment Insurance programs, as well as other programs we administer, please review and select the best fitting reporting tool.


Misclassification occurs when an employer calls someone who is an employee a “subcontractor” or an “independent contractor” to avoid providing benefits such as Workers’ Compensation or Unemployment Insurance, or to avoid withholding and paying payroll taxes.

Report suspected misclassification


Fraud occurs when someone intentionally lies about a material fact in order to affect his/her obligations or benefits regarding unemployment insurance or workers’ compensation. Sometimes, fraud occurs when someone lies about a material fact in order to affect someone else’s obligations or benefits.

Report suspected EMPLOYER fraud

Report suspected employee/worker/claimant or other fraud

Investigation Outcomes

While specific details about investigations must remain confidential, the Department is permitted to provide data collected on completed investigations and the names of companies currently debarred from contracting with the State of Vermont as a result of misclassifying.

Review companies currently debarred from contracting with the State of Vermont

Operating without Workers’ Compensation Insurance

When an employer has employees, the employer is required to provide workers’ compensation insurance for those employees. There are very few, and very limited exceptions.

To see if an employer has Workers Compensation Insurance click the link below:

Validate if an employer has workers’ compensation insurance

Report an employer operating without workers’ compensation insurance

Other potential wrong-doing

The Department of Labor is also responsible for administering the VOSHA, Child Labor, and Wage and Hour programs. You may learn more about these programs and ability to file complaints by clicking the applicable topic.


Child Labor

Wage and Hour

File a Wage & Hour Claim

Direct Contact Information

Workers’ Compensation Program – 802-828-2286

Unemployment Insurance Program – 802-828-4333

Translate »