Department of Labor announces series of Work Search Virtual Town Hall events
Montpelier, Vt. – The Vermont Department of Labor will host a series of virtual information sessions focusing on the work search requirements for unemployment insurance claimants that will be reinstated on May 9, 2021.
Claimants who are filing in regular UI and do not have a COVID qualifying reason, as well as claimants filing in PUA who are not categorized as self-employed or independent contractors, and who do not have a COVID qualifying reason, will be required to begin making three work contacts each week beginning the week of May 9 – May 15. Only legitimate work inquires will be considered valid.
The work search requirement was waived last spring when Governor Phil Scott’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” order went into effect. Therefore, many claimants may not be familiar with this requirement or the changes made to account for pandemic-related reasons for being unemployed. Each session will focus on questions and topics claimants may have, or want to learn about to be more prepared for their work search efforts.
Details on upcoming events may be found below, with additional information available at labor.vermont.gov/unemployment-insurance/work-search. Recordings of these and previous events are uploaded to the Department’s YouTube Channel, and may be viewed online at https://www.youtube.com/c/VermontDepartmentofLabor. Provided below is a schedule of work search related presentations for next week.
For further information and updates on the Vermont Department of Labor, please visit labor.vermont.gov.
WORK SEARCH VIRTUAL TOWN HALL EVENTS SCHEDULE
FRIDAY, MAY 7
- Overview of Work Search for UI Claimants
- Time: 2:00pm – 3:00pm
- Overview: Hear more about work search requirements, exemptions, and steps that claimants can take to be prepared.
- Online Link: labor.vermont.gov/event/virtual-town-hall-work-search-ui-claimants-may-6
MONDAY, MAY 10
- WEBINAR: How to Enter Work Search Activity
- Time: 10:00am – 11:00am
- Overview: Step-by-step overview of how to enter a work search job contact. Learn what information you will be required to provide and what questions will be asked.
- Online Link: labor.vermont.gov/event/webinar-how-enter-work-search-activity
- Work Search for Vermont Employers
- Time: 2:00pm – 3:00pm
- Overview: Employers with concerns about current and potential future employees are encouraged to attend this virtual session. Get more information on the impact of the reinstatement of the work search requirement.
- Online Link: labor.vermont.gov/event/virtual-town-hall-work-search-vermont-employers
TUESDAY, MAY 11
- Work Search Exemptions, Part-Time Employees and Suitable Work
- Time: 12:30pm – 1:30pm
- Overview: Further details on the work search requirement , including exemptions that are currently available for Vermonters, the role of part-time employment, and what claimants need to know about suitable work.
- Online Link: labor.vermont.gov/event/virtual-town-hall-work-search-exemptions-and-more
WEDNESDAY, MAY 12
- Work Search for PUA Claimants
- Time: 11:00am – 12:00pm
- Overview: Some claimants receiving benefits through the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program are currently required to complete work search. Self-Employed individuals, contractors and sole proprietors are encouraged to attend and learn more about valid work search contacts and activities, and overall requirements.
- Online Link: labor.vermont.gov/event/virtual-town-hall-work-search-pua-claimants