Claimants can file an "Initial Claim" for unemployment insurance between Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:30pm by calling 1-877-214-3330.
Establish an Initial Claim
- Call Claimant Assistance to open an initial claim (Monday - Friday 8am-5:30pm at 1-877-214-3330).
- Our online initial claim application is not available at this time. Please call to establish an initial claim.
- Required Documents: Click here for a list of required documents you will need to have on-hand when submitting your application
- If you established an initial claim within the last 12 months, you will likely need to re-open your claim. If you are unsure, go to labor.vermont.gov and log-in to the UI Claimant Portal to check your status.
Open a New Benefit Year
- After a period of 12 months AFTER your initial claim is submitted, you will be required to open a new benefit year in order to continue to receive unemployment insurance benefits. Find more information on our Open a New Benefit Year page.
Contact Unemployment Insurance Division:
- Establish an Initial Claim: 1-877-214-3330 or 1-888-807-7072 (8:00am Monday - 4:30pm Friday)
- File Weekly Claim: 1-800-983-2300 (Automated - Sunday: 24 hours / Monday - Friday: 5:00am-4:30pm)
- Claimant Assistance: 1-877-214-3332 (Monday-Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pm / Closed from Saturday - Sunday)
- Supplemental Assistance Line: 1-888-807-7072 (Monday-Friday: 8:15am - 4:30pm / Saturday-Sunday: Closed)
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) Hotline: 1-877-660-7782 (Monday-Friday: 8:00am - 5:30pm / Saturday-Sunday: Closed)