Have you received communications (phone call, text messages, email, etc.) that you suspect of being fraudulent or a part of a phishing scam? The Vermont Department of Labor reminds Vermonters of the following regarding fraud:
- Contact the Department at 1-877-214-3330 to establish an initial claim
- Use the official website (Labor.Vermont.gov) for filing weekly benefits or to access information on UI benefits
- The Department will never ask claimants to verify information via text message
- The Department will not charge or ask for payment information from claimants for filing UI benefits
If you have received communications you believe to be fraudulent, you may report them to the Department through the link below.
Additional Information on UI Fraud:
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
- Close any financial or credit card accounts that are no longer in use.
- Report identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) online or by calling 877-438-4338.
- Contact the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 and review your social security statement online (for workers 18 and older).
- For concerns about tax fraud, contact the IRS to notify them you are a victim of identity theft. Fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit (FORM 14039). You may also contact the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2865.
Vermonters may also take proactive steps to preventing fraud from occurring, as there are a number of resources available.
- Review Credit
- Obtain a free copy of your credit report to review it for suspicious activity.
- Credit Freeze:
More information and details may be found at https://labor.vermont.gov/ui-fraud